Welcome to The Iowa Youth Writing Project!
We always need volunteers to make our programs possible! This summer, we’ll be volunteering each weekday with the Antelope Lending Library, encouraging creativity and building literacy skills. Sign up to volunteer here!
Teens, do you love writing AND drawing? Sign up for the FUN new Image + Word camp that starts July 14! Reserve your space by writing Jen at email@example.com! More info here: https://www.facebook.com/IYWP.ORG/photos/a.195440747160758.40183.131378116900355/746045815433579/?type=1
About the Iowa Youth Writing Project
The Iowa Youth Writing Project (IYWP) is a non-profit outreach collective, founded by University of Iowa Writers’ Workshop graduates in 2010, that aims to join Iowa City’s unique literary heritage with Iowa’s larger community, empowering, inspiring, and educating Iowa’s youth through language arts and creative thinking.
It provides one-of-a-kind writing, tutoring, publishing, and creative learning opportunities to Iowa’s children and teens. To ensure that all young people can participate, the IYWP provides programs at little or no cost, thanks to the time, energy, and creativity of IYWP volunteers, partnerships with local organizations and institutions, and the generosity of community members.
In July 2012, the Frank N. Magid Undergraduate Writing Center in the University of Iowa College of Liberal Arts & Sciences was granted a Better Futures for Iowans award, launching a pilot partnership with the IYWP, which will secure, expand, deepen, and build on the IYWP’s ongoing outreach efforts. This initiative, supported primarily by the Office of the Provost, brings the University of Iowa and the larger community together to work toward common goals of social good and better futures for all of Iowa’s youth.
IYWP Goals and Objectives:
- To foster imagination and the art of creative writing and communication for children and teens
- To provide free opportunities for project-based literary and interdisciplinary learning
- To inspire children and teens with a lifelong appreciation of the writing arts
- To create events, workshops, and other avenues for children and teens to work with nationally recognized and professional writers
- To provide after-school and in-school support for teachers and students
- To serve as a resource for student writing and publishing
- To empower youth through language, literature, and creative thinking