Welcome to The Iowa Youth Writing Project!
Register Online at www.onebooktwobook.org/writing-jam/
The Iowa Youth Writing Project (IYWP) is a non-profit outreach collective founded by University of Iowa Writers’ Workshop graduates in 2010 that aims to join Iowa City’s unique literary heritage with Iowa’s larger community by empowering, inspiring, and educating Iowa’s youth through language arts and creative thinking.
We provide one-of-a-kind writing, publishing, and creative learning opportunities to Iowa’s children and teens. To ensure that all young people can participate, the IYWP provides programs at little or no cost, thanks to the time, energy, and creativity of IYWP volunteers, partnerships with local organizations and institutions, and the generosity of community members.
In July 2012, the Frank N. Magid Undergraduate Writing Center in the University of Iowa College of Liberal Arts & Sciences was granted a Better Futures for Iowans award, launching a pilot partnership with the IYWP, which will secure, expand, deepen, and build on the IYWP’s ongoing outreach efforts. This initiative, supported primarily by the Office of the Provost, brings the University of Iowa and the larger community together to work toward common goals of social good and better futures for all of Iowa’s youth.
IYWP Goals and Objectives
- To foster imagination and the art of creative writing and communication for children and teens
- To provide free opportunities for project-based literary and interdisciplinary learning
- To inspire children and teens with a lifelong appreciation of the writing arts
- To create events, workshops, and other avenues for children and teens to work with nationally recognized and professional writers
- To provide after-school and in-school support for teachers and students
- To serve as a resource for student writing and publishing
- To empower youth through language, literature, and creative thinking
Interested in volunteering but want more info before you sign up? Please fill out our Volunteer Application, and we’ll be in touch!